Sunday, January 31, 2010

Another weekend flies by

I got a long ride in yesterday and a longish run in this morning.  Yesterday's ride went pretty well- I warmed up for an easy hour and then did a 15 minute period at a higher intensity (about 145 beats per minute on my heart rate monitor) followed by 5 minutes of rest.  I did four of these 15 minute pickups total and then about another hour of moderate riding to finish out the session for a little over 3 hours of riding.  I texted this yesterday in the form I keep my workouts in.  I watched a movie and then the 2005 Ironman Hawaii recap and this kept me busy and awake.

Today's run wasn't as good as yesterday's ride.  First off, it was really cold- only 9 degrees- and there was a pretty stiff wind which chilled my face pretty well.  Then I had calf pain seemingly out of nowhere in the lower part on the right side.  I was hoping my calf problems were going to be in the past because I started doing some yoga during the past week to stretch them out but maybe I need to be a little more patient and give them a few more weeks. I had calf cramping problems in the past and yoga stopped it, the problem is that I used to do yoga in the morning before school but now I exercise then.  I am trying to stick a quick stretch in during the day so hopefully this will rectify the problem.

Yesterday I went to a triathlon shop and bought a massage stick (ironically called "The Stick") to help my legs out and also picked up some salt tablets to help keep electrolytes up during long, intense exercise.  I tried the Stick out after my run but haven't pioneer the salt tablets yet.  I also looked at a full wetsuit but have to get the right deal to make the purchase (and sell my old wetsuit as well).  Here is a picture of the Stick in case you are interested:


Tomorrow is an hour and forty minute ride before school so I am going to try to hit the sack early tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment