Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I had a great long weekend

The snow is melting from all of the warm temperatures we have had lately, so the kids got out on Sunday to use a snow-dino kit they got for Christmas.  Here is their sense of humor (I had nothing to do with this one):



Anyway, training has been going pretty well.  I did my long ride on Friday so that I could let Jen sleep in on her birthday on Saturday but I didn't hear anyone get up and I ended up sleeping until 8 and was the last one up- thanks Jen!  We went to Uncle Jim's in Buffalo for Jen's party and had a great time.  We arrived back home late so I didn't get to bed until midnight so I slept until 6 on Sunday morning before heading out for a run test.

The run test was to time a moderate effort at a half marathon (13.1 miles).  I found a loop that was close to half of this distance (6.62 miles- not too bad!) and ran it twice.  This allowed me to take a sip of Gatorade and a Gu gel at the halfway point which worked out pretty well.  I felt pretty good overall but my calves were a little "twitchy" so I didn't push super hard.  The double loop run ended up taking me just under 1:50 to complete which is around an 8:17 pace.  At first I was mad that I was so slow but I'm trying to convince myself that it is still early in the season and that speed will come later, plus it was the first day of really good footing that I have had in a while.

I rode my bike for 1.5 hours on Monday because I had the time due to being off for MLK Day.   I watched a movie that Aunt Ginny lent me called "So Much, So Fast" which is about a guy who gets ALS and what he and his family have to go through.  It was pretty tough to watch so I can't imagine having to go through it first or second hand.  Seemingly ironically, I saw Avatar in the afternoon (not a big spoiler alert) in which the main character is paralyzed from the waist down but can use a machine to be the brains behind a fully functioning creature; I couldn't help making the link between what ALS patients slowly lose ability to do over the course of months and years and the abilities gained through fictional technology in Avatar. 

Anyway, I ran this morning- a quick 6-mile jaunt- and will swim tonight.  About 187 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment