Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Getting closer...

Officially, there are 68 days until IMLP and I am still super excited and motivated to train.  I'm currently in my last recovery week.  When I tell people that I'm in a recovery week they usually think that I get a week off from training (which would kill me), but instead the recovery week lets me ease back a little on the mileage so that I can heal and recuperate before the next round of increasing mileage begins.

This week's schedule calls for 7000 yards of swimming (140 laps in the pool), 85 miles on the bike, and 24 miles running; contrasting that to last week's efforts of 5650 yards in the pool, 125 miles cycling, and 38 miles of running and I should be feeling pretty rested in a few days.  As you can see, my pool distances are increasing and I will add a third day in the water soon.

I was surprised to see that this was my last recovery- because I thought I would get one more, but no such luck; my tapers starts four weeks out from the race (and is a pretty strenuous taper, I think) which leaves five weeks to build, build, build.  Eventually, when I reach my longest week, I will do 12,725 yards swimming, 190 miles cycling, and 43 miles running- then the taper starts from there.  Right now I'm pretty excited to get into the long stuff but I'm sure I will get pretty beat up but at least the end is already in sight.

I'm trying to pay extra attention to my nutrition because I feel like I have to always be eating but want to make sure I'm getting enough protein.  I usually do fine with my carbohydrate, fat, salt, etc... but when I review my diet at the end of many days I think I could use another salmon burger here and there.  I have taken a liking to a vanilla protein powder (conveniently sold at Wal-Mart) and am trying to remember to mix it with a glass of milk after each round of exercise lasting an hour or more, which, when I think about it now, is every workout this week (with the exception of a running speed workout) and every workout for the next 9.5 weeks.  Note to self: buy more protein mix.

It is raining again but the weather is supposed to get sunnier and warmer  in the next few days, so I won't have to bundle up as much on the bike.  I ran this morning (8 miles) and will swim tonight (80 laps or 4000 yards) but right now I'm thinking about dinner and trying to stay dry (until I get in the pool, of course).


No comments:

Post a Comment