Friday, April 16, 2010

Holding on to a few extra pounds?

  • Here is a question from a friend (who is faster than I am in marathons):



I have to check in with my technical trainer, lol. This happens EVERY year late in my marathon training, I hold on to a few pounds. It drives me crazy. I always drop it before the race but it makes me mad that I'm running 40 miles a week and have gained a few! Do you know what is going on?


  • Here is my feeble response:
I don't have any facts for you but here is my hunch because I think I do this too. First off, I try to stay away from the scale because I really think my body (or anyone's body) finds the correct weight if I'm exercising a lot and eating well- the body will do what it needs to do. I have been stepping on the scale lately much more often to make sure I know how much I'm losing during a workout so that I can guess on my nutritional needs that I'm not meeting through during-workout eating.

From watching bits and pieces of "The Biggest Loser", I'm guessing that your body is reacting to an increasing exercise load but hanging on to some additional fuel in case the going really gets tough and it needs some additional resources to draw energy from. When you begin to ease up on the workouts in your taper, your body can get rid of the extra weight because it isn't under and increasing workload anymore. Of course, this is all speculation and isn't really mor than just a guess.

What would be interesting would be to see if your body got rid of the extra pounds if you maintained 40 mile weeks for a month or two because you would have reached a mileage plateau and aren't calling for increasing duration. Want to test this idea for me?


Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Technical Trainer Brian signing off (really I'm just talking out of my behind)

  • Anyone have anything to say to confirm or deny my ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment