Friday, April 16, 2010

$5 for an unlimited duration massage

I'm holding my own with keeping the back of my legs happy- they are still tight but definitely manageable.  Besides adding a few yoga poses to my post-workout stretching routine, I added a daily massage.  How can I afford my own masseur? Easy, I do it myself.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I bought (and still use) The Stick, but that doesn't seem to go deep enough to hit my sore muscles (I am abounding with muscles).   Then I found a sports therapist's site about how to do your own deep muscle massages using a large pool noodle.  It looked like it would work, so I headed to Target and first went down the "yoga" aisle to find a $25 foam roller- too expensive for me.  Fortunately, Target seems to think that summer comes to Rochester in the middle of March and they already had pool noodles on sale for only $5.  I bought one that was about 6-inches in diameter and 6-feet long and brought it home.  I cut it into a shorter lenghth of about 2-1/2 feet wide which is much more manageable.  Now I try to roll the back of my legs   once a day and it really seems to help by getting the deep knots out of my hamstrings and calves.  I recommend the investment to all.

Now for a fundraising update: Last Friday I went on the Hilton High School anouncements (which are televised- so cool!) to say that I was selling bracelets with all money collected going to fight Lou Gehrig's disease.  I also sent an email to staff members telling them about the Ironman and asking them to donate to the cause.  I was nervous that the 200 bracelets I bought would end up collecting dust, but boy was I wrong.  In one week, the students and staff donated $721.92 and the donations are still coming in!  Go Hilton!

100 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment