Monday, February 15, 2010

tri-annual checkup

I went for my physical today which I do about every three years and the doctor said I'm good to go.  I asked him about the cramps that I keep getting in my calves (like I got on Sunday) and he is thinking that they are from not being hydrated well enough, especially since I do my long bike rides on Saturday and long runs on Sunday.  He is a runner too so he knows where I am coming from.

So this past weekend was filled with parties- Saturday we had a baby shower for our friends (Chris and Janine) who are expecting their third baby and Sunday was the family birthday party for February birthdays.  Both were great fun and I ate lots of good food and sweets.  I also squeezed some excising in with a 2 hour and 30 minute ride on Saturday morning and what was supposed to be a long run on Sunday but, as I said above, I had a sudden calf cramp about 3 miles in.  I walked and limped/ran back home- the whole ordeal only took 52 minutes.  I'm not worried about missing a long run at this stage of the game but am hoping I can solve my calf problem before I get too much farther in.  Here is what I'm going to try: downward dog yoga pose (minimum of 15 per day), use massage stick daily, hydrate more, and get more comfortable with using salt tablets.   About the hydration: my doctor said that if I am hydrated well enough I should be getting up during the night to visit the potty (but I always sleep through the night now).  Sorry for the TMI.

Today I got up and rode my bike for an hour and 40 minutes and then ran to the pool to swim for 40 minutes (which was all of the time I could afford).  I felt extra slow in the pool because I swam with the kids who are going to states next weekend.  I appreciate getting a lane with them though.  We have this week off so we hit the Strong Museum, with the rest of Rochester, and met up with college friends that we haven't seen in 15 years; except for 5 kids between the two couples, everybody is pretty much the same.

Off to eat- more on that some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment